The QFHSA’s Youth Exploring Science (YES) Program has existed since 2011. In the early years, we offered hands-on learning activities for children on Saturdays in community learning centres. In 2019, the Project was reformatted as a Micro-Grant program to provide additional science resources to secondary schools in the regions of Quebec.
Please see below for more information (and videos) of YES Program activities between 2011-2018.
The Quebec Federation of Home and School Associations Inc. (QFHSA), in partnership with Heritage Canada, and Livestuff, Inc. offered an exciting opportunity for children to participate in an interactive science activity. YES (2011-2018) consisted of a series of workshops that aimed at creating interest and developing scientific awareness while having hands on fun. YES was an extra-curricular activity that took place on Saturday afternoons at participating Community Learning Centers in Quebec. Classes were broadcast throughout the province via the CLC Educational Video Conferencing Network.
Some of the topics covered in previous YES activities have included:
- Dino Dig – introduction to paleontology
- Root Beer – exploring chemical reactions by brewing home made root beer
- Spa Science – exploring practical applications of chemical science
- Hydroponics – agriculture without soil
- DNA extraction – extracting plant DNA
- Science of Perfume – exploration of chemical processes and the sense of smell
- Mad about Bats – discovering the true nature of bats
All activities included hands-on components and take home items.